El Pueblo de Los Ángeles Historical Monument is quite literally the center of the original city. A monument and post in front of La Placita Our Lady Queen of Angels, the city’s first church, marks the point that was used to originally survey the city limits which stretch one Spanish league in each direction – a total of four square leagues (roughly a generous 28 square miles) granted to the pueblo when it was founded in 1781 by King Charles III of Spain.

For additional information about visiting El Pueblo de Los Ángeles Historical Monument, go to: elpueblo.lacity.org/