El Pueblo Park Association supports El Pueblo de Los Ángeles Historic Monument, the historic center of one of the oldest cities in the United States – the modern City of Los Angeles. Founded by the Spanish in 1781 as General George Washington led American rebels against the British, Los Angeles pre-dates his presidency by eight years and the Louisiana Purchase by 22 years.
Surrounding the historic plaza are the city’s first graveyard and 20 contributing historic structures, including the city’s oldest church and house, multiple museums and exhibit halls,plus Olvera Street, the world famous Mexican marketplace.
To preserve this unique landmark and the educational opportunities it offers, the El Pueblo Park Association (EPPA) sponsors public education events and contributes funds to ensure that artifacts are preserved and displayed, Recent projects have included a new cross replacing the time worn cross at the entrance to Olvera Street, restoring noted children’s artist Leo Politi’s Blessing of the Animals mural, extending the life of the plaza’s four Morton Bay fig trees planted in 1876, repairing educational displays and protective covers of the América Tropical Interpretive Center, sponsoring a wine seminar at the Avila Adobe, the oldest house in the city, featuring wine made from the original mission grapes that overhang the adobe’s courtyard, annual recognition for the volunteer docents who conduct free tours of El Pueblo and historic exhibits and art shows.
Recognition event for sculptor Jackie Hadnot, second from the right, who carved the new teak wood cross at the entrance to Olvera Street, is celebrated Friday, September 9 in Avila Adobe courtyard. Hadnot is holding a small replica of the new cross.
A cross has occupied the site since 1929. Present from left to right is General Manager Chris Espinosa, El Pueblo Park Association President Don Sloper, Hadnot, and EPPA Vice President Kathy Kolnick, holding plaque recognizing major donors.
Closeup of miniature copy of the present cross with wood chips from the carving in the glass containers on each side presented as a gift to El Pueblo de Los Ángeles Historic Monument from Jackie Hadnot during recognition event.
Two icons of recent plaza history in front of new cross. Left is the historic monument’s first curator (1977-2001) Jean Bruce Poole, co-author of El Pueblo: The Historic Heart of Los Angeles, and founder of the El Pueblo Park Association in 1982; and right, Ynez Violé O’Neill, long time board member with families ties to Olvera Street.
El Pueblo Park Association is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Public Charity tax ID # 95-3842289. Your donation is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.